How Paying Off The Mortgage Quicker Can Really Help Clients Completely Own Their House Quicker
Amongst the most important accomplishments which an individual could make is to own their own home outright. You would save more money on interest the sooner your mortgage is paid off. You could take years off your loan by taking a few easy steps that will help make sure you are paying off your mortgage as effectively as possible. The best part is, this method is absolutely free.
1. You will initially acquire your credit score before you start to shop around for the best mortgage. The ongoing service fees that the mortgage firm charges are normally not unreasonable, but it is better to know exactly what fees would be charged before you sign on a loan. It can be in your best interests to consult a mortgage broker at this time.
2. Picking either weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly payments is the next step. A bi-weekly mortgage means that payments would be required 26 half-monthly payments instead of 12 monthly payments. Nevertheless, you would save a considerable amount on interest. It is essential to note that if your mortgage is initially set up as bi-weekly, your lender can charge you an upfront fee of $300-$400.
For instance: if you make a payment of $415 twice a month rather than a monthly payment of $830, you would save about $27,000 in interest and could own your very own home about 4-1/2 years sooner.
3. The third step is to pay a little bit extra each and every month. Even a small increase of a couple of dollars would reduce the amount still owing on your principal amount. If you can pay an extra 10-15% percent each month then you will be in a good position to pay off your mortgage sooner.
Like for example: By upping your payment from $830 to $1000 every month, you could save practically $48,000 in interest and pay off your loan 8 years early.
4. If you make a lump sum payment once a year, using your tax refund, work bonus, or any extra money you have shaved up, you could reduce the amount remaining on your principal by a considerable amount. It is a good idea to check your mortgage documents to be able to see how often you are permitted to prepay and in what amount to be able to make certain that you would not be subjected to any extra fees. While nearly all mortgage loans do not prohibit you from paying off your loan in advance, some loans do have parameters about any extra payments that you may make.
5. At renewal time, it is wise to pay off as much of your remaining mortgage as you could. At renewal, nearly all mortgages become open and you could pay off as much as you would like.
6. Make certain that you check your mortgage payment in order to ensure that your extra payments are being put straight against the principal. It is essential that the bank correctly documents each and every payment which you make. Any extra payments that you make should be done using a separate cheque. On the memo line, make certain you note that they payment must be applied just to the principal. At the end of the year, when doing your taxes, tally the payments and make sure that the whole amount that you paid has been accurately applied.
7. The final step is to make certain that you stay informed and up-to-date regarding your mortgage. New products are coming out each and every year and the interest rate is always changing. There is the chance that you might want to shop around for a better product as time goes on.
For instance: Initially you may have only been able to qualify for a lower-rate adjustable mortgage. At some point later on, you may decide to select a more affordable, fixed-rate long-term mortgage.
There are several conditions where paying off your mortgage more quickly is not the right choice. Like for example, some people may choose to invest in mutual funds when the yields return 10-12% each year. As a general rule though, most individuals choose to pay off their mortgage instead.
If you are planning to move in the near future, it might be better to avoid investing your money. Saving your money and using it for a down payment on your new home may be better then investing money into your existing home.
It is quite possible for you to save thousands of dollars on your mortgage just by doing a little research and by following these simple steps. Nonetheless, the banks will not tell you how to save money because that will make them lose money and their profits would come to a standstill.
Click to Download the pdf